New Directions Staffing
Job Title: Peritoneal Dialysis RN
HOME DIALYSIS RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Provides clinical support to our peritoneal dialysis patients.
· Responsible for coordinating care related to peritoneal dialysis modalities including patient training and education.
· Completes intakes of new patients to include: obtaining physician’s orders, reviewing required paperwork such as labs etc., assigning caregiver, communicating with billing/insurance department, warehouse staff, and pharmacy staff.
· Performs and provides documentation for pre, intro, and post dialysis physical assessments of the patient’s condition.
· Coordinates, implements, evaluates and documents home dialysis care.
· Reviews consent forms and physician’s orders pre-treatment to ensure patient has consented to therapy and appropriate therapy is delivered.
· Insures that dialysis treatments are initiated, monitored and terminated in accordance with the clinic’s policies and procedures.
· Administers medications by prescribed route and provides documentation of administration and results of medication.
· Insures that laboratory tests are obtained, documented and reported as ordered
· Reviews monthly labs for patients. Adjusts epogen dosages according to protocol or physician order. Communicates lab results to patient’s physician, patients and caregivers.
· Reviews incoming flowsheets for appropriateness of care, ensuring ordered prescription is delivered, monitors patient weights and blood pressures, ensures medications are administered timely and as ordered. Provides ongoing training/feedback to direct caregivers.
· Provide home dialysis treatments if staffing levels or emergencies arise.
· Knows and practices procedures related to hazardous waste disposal. Knowledgeable and able to implement appropriate emergency/disaster protocols.
· Meets or provides the emotional needs of patient and family as they confront the psychological impact of acute and/or chronic dialysis. Partners with Social Worker to facilitate patient’s development of realistic attitudes and goals via understanding of the disease process.
· Assess patient and family learning readiness; Partners with Dietician to teach patient and significant others about renal disease, dialysis treatment and medical regimen and their impact on the patient’s state of health and well-being.
· Initiates and performs Basic Life Support for cardiopulmonary emergencies.
· Reviews and documents patient and staff education, as necessary, in order to ensure compliance with ESRD Network, regulatory agencies and the facility’s CQI program.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· An Associate’s degree in Nursing or Nursing Diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing preferred.
· Must have current and valid State professional nursing licensure.
· Minimum of two years of recent peritoneal dialysis experience required.
· Candidates with Med/Sur, ICU/CCU, or ER or other critical care experience preferred.
· Certification in Dialysis specialty encouraged.
· Must obtain CPR/BLS certification within first 60 days if not already certified.
· Must have demonstrated record of and commitment to safety; and dedication to excellence.
· Must be able to communicate professionally and effectively with other staff members, patients and physicians.
· Able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
· Must have computer skills including data entry, navigation around software and basic troubleshooting skills.
· Maintain confidentiality of all company and patient records. Adhere to HIPAA.